Nora Sheriff specializes in electric and natural gas regulatory and administrative litigation, legislative, and end-use contractual transactions. Nora advocates for large power interests and to inform and help shape California’s energy policy debates. Nora leads the California Large Energy Consumers Association, whose members consist of cement, steel, industrial gas, beverage, pipeline and mining industry corporations. Nora’s prior experience centered on corporate and securities law, focusing on corporate transactions, public and private securities, venture capital financings, mergers and acquisitions, strategic alliances, and technology transfers.
Before entering law school, Nora worked as a quality assurance compliance auditor, supporting domestic and international pharmaceutical manufacturing.
- Advocates for large power users and standby customers in CPUC-jurisdictional utility general rate cases and rate design window applications, focusing on revenue allocation and rate design.
- Represents large customer and participant interests in CPUC demand response proceedings and the implementation of integration of demand response into wholesale markets.
- Engages in targeted California ISO stakeholder processes on behalf of large customer interests, maintaining positive working relationships with key participants.
- Promotes large power end-use interests in CPUC long term electric utility procurement proceedings.
- Counsels clients on potential impacts of CPUC policies regarding renewables, demand response and energy efficiency.
- Advises clients on Self Generation Incentive Process and distributed generation issues.
- Litigates Qualifying Facility issues, including avoided cost pricing and contract policy issues.
- Negotiates end-use power contracts and departing load matters.
- Advocates for lawful and practicable confidentiality policy and practices at the CPUC and the CEC.
- Advocates for rational allocation of natural gas costs, such as gas Public Purpose Program surcharges and Pipeline Safety Enhancement Program costs.
- Assists customer generation facilities to navigate the interconnection process.
- Counsels clients regarding CEC jurisdiction and siting process.
University of California, Hastings College of the Law
California State University, Sacramento
M.A. in International Affairs
George Washington University